Are you on Facebook? If so, you are probably revealing a lot about yourself by joining groups, liking posts or even writing posts yourself. You can protect your privacy better by hiding Facebook likes.
Do you like your local voluntary fire brigade? Or the amateur football club next door? You want to know when the next street food festival or rock concert will take place? Facebook is the ideal place to get all this information. But strangers can also see which posts you have liked as likes on Facebook are public. We’ll explain how to hide Facebook likes and change your privacy settings.
What are Facebook likes?
What exactly are Facebook likes? What does it mean for you to get likes or to like something? Of course, the literal translation and everyday meaning are clear. But by liking something on social media you show that you take an interest in or favour something. To like something, you have to click either a thumbs-up (YouTube) or a so called “like”-Button (Facebook).
There are also social media platforms where you can submit a negative rating, as is the case with YouTube. Next, to the thumbs-up button, you’ll here find the counterpart: a thumbs-down option. However, on Facebook, you can only submit a positive rating or a reaction such as love, sad and angry.
Likes are not only used to exchange yourself with friends, they mean more than a simple “I like”. Likes are also used to influence your news feed and keep you up-to-date on topics that might be relevant for you. In this case, a like is more than a simple rating. Likes can become a measurable resource for advertising companies and stars:
- The audience increases with every like (viral marketing).
- A study with almost 90.000 Facebook users claims: 70 likes are enough for a computer programme to create a personal profile that contains more information about the individual than friends could provide. 150 likes are enough to know more about the individual person than his/her own family.
Based on the individual likes and click-choices, users get advertisements and like-suggestions individualized to them. If you don’t want your likes to be seen and analysed, you should learn how to hide your Facebook likes.
How to hide Facebook likes
Learn how to hide Facebook likes in our step-by-step manual. Hiding your Facebook likes can significantly improve the protection of your online privacy.
- Log onto your Facebook account.
- Go to the “Info” tab on your profile.
- You’ll now see all sites that you’ve liked.
- On the right, you’ll see a pencil icon. Click on this icon.
- This will open a drop-down menu. Select “Edit the privacy settings of your likes”.
- With a click on the globe icon, you can select the privacy setting for each like category. Choose “Only Me” to hide your Facebook likes.
- Once you’re finished click on the “Close” button in the lower corner
From now on your likes in your news feed, ticker, personal profile, fan page, graph search and API (Friend_likes Permissions) will be hidden. If you want to hide individual likes, you can only do so by un-liking.
How to hide Facebook likes for individual posts
It’s more difficult to hide likes for individual photos or posts. You cannot hide those likes. Your only option is to un-like the post. This is how to do it:
- Go to your profile and click on the little upside down triangle on the upper right side next to the question mark.
- A drop down menu will open up. Click on “Activity Log”.
- On the left side you can choose likes.
- You’ll see a chronological list of all your liked posts and photos.
- Use the pencil button to edit your likes. You can hide your likes from your friends and remove them altogether.
Hide Facebook subscriptions
If you don’t want other people to see which pages you are following, you can also choose to hide your Facebook subscriptions. This will protect your privacy even further as you’ll give less insight into your personal preferences and interests. Follow these steps to hide your Facebook subscriptions:
- Go to your own timeline by clicking on your name.
- Click on “Friends” below your cover photo.
- On the upper right you’ll see a pencil icon. Select this icon and click on “Edit Privacy”.
- A window with more options will pop up.
- Under “Following” you can select the option “Only Me” to hide the visibility of your Facebook subscriptions.
To make the best use of Facebook, your Wifi has to be first-class. If you’re still looking to get a good Wifi at home, get in touch with the TrustATec partner near you. Our IT experts can get you online at home in no time. With our Wifi Set-up you’ll get all you need - of course at a fixed price.